Studying Abroad

The majority of young people that we work with want to study at UK universities. However, some may be considering studying abroad. It’s important that you can give these students an overview of financial support and relevant signposts. There is a difference in the financial support available for students depending on whether they are studying abroad for their entire course or for part of their course.

Financial support for students studying abroad for their entire course

How much this will cost will depend on which country students are planning to go to. Tuition fees could be higher or lower than in the UK, and in some countries there are no tuition fees at all. Student should not count on getting the level of financial support they’d get if they were studying in the UK. Plus, students won’t necessarily be able to work in another country for additional support. Students may also be required to prove that they can support themselves from their own funds.

Students currently have the right to work or study in EU countries as UK citizens, subject to certain conditions. They also have the right to be treated equally with domestic students in terms of the course fees they pay, although this may not be the case with maintenance grants or other help with living costs (the Your Europe website has full details). This will become more complicated when we leave the EU: it is likely that UK students will have to pay higher international fees at fee-paying institutions, and may be subject to visa restrictions. However, we won’t know the detailed impact on UK students studying abroad until later on. 

Check out this article for more details on students studying abroad for their entire course. There’s also a comprehensive outline as part of The Complete University Guide.

Key signposts for funding in the EU are:

Studying in the USA

If students wish to study in the USA most applicants for undergraduate study in the USA will be required to sit a standardised admissions test. This will either be in the form of the SAT Reasoning or ACT. After assessing their personal and family savings, the best resource for most students will likely be funding from a US university. In fact, 1 in 3 international students reported a scholarship as their primary source of funding.  

For more information, check out the Fulbright Commission website  

There’s an useful fact sheet on studying in the USA: UD_Studying in the US.pdf

Financial support for students studying abroad for part of their course

Students who are studying abroad as part of a UK course are entitled to:

  • Tuition Fee Loans 
  • Living Cost Loan- Up to £10,539 per year abroad (depending on household income)
  • Travel Grant (if eligible)

Travel Grants

Students who are studying abroad as part of their course, on ERASMUS study/work placement and medical/dental students studying abroad may be able to get a travel grant. 

The travel grant depends on household income and does not have to be paid back.  The grant can be used to pay for up to 3 return journeys between home and the overseas institution during a full academic year abroad and help with essential expenses e.g. medical insurance and travel visas. Students must meet eligibility criteria and pay first £303 of their travel costs. There is a handout with more information.

Back to CSK Home